Advice & Assistance
Researh & Briefings
Deaths, Inquests & Prosecutions
Corporate  Crime & safety Database
Safety Statistics
Obtaining Safety Information
CCA Responses to Consultation Documents
CCA Advocacy
CCA Press Releases
CCA Publications
Support the CCA
Search the CCA site
Contact Us
Quick Links ->
Other Manslaughter Cases - Convictions

Name of Deceased Date of Death Conviction Date Convicted Defendants Position Sentence
Elsie Skelton Oct 2007 Feb 2009 Nchokhoa Thakne Mtetwa Nurse 12 months imprisonment suspended for 12 months
Patricia Leighton Jul 1998 Feb 2009 Priya Ramnath Doctor 6 months imprisonment suspended
Statham family Oct 2007 Feb 2009 Paulo Jorge Nigueira da Silva Lorry driver 3 years imprisonment (on six counts, to run concurrently)
David Liddle Dec 2007 2009 James Johnston Truck driver 18 months imprisonment

Christina Toner, Yi Di Lin,
John Carruthers

Jan 2007

Jul 2007

26 Nov 2008 Philip Rooney Coach driver 5 years imprisonment
Hassan Goussa 2006 Apr 2008 William Edwards Scrapyard manager 9 months imprisonment
Alwyne Parkinson Sep 2007 Apr 2008 Michael Roy Excavator operator 1 year imprisonment
Ian Gregory Aug 2007 Apr 2008 Scott Baldwin Lorry driver 6 years imprisonment
Robert Schenker Mar 2006 Apr 2008 David Johnson Builder  
Eileen Murphy Mar 2003 Mar 2008 Harjinder Mangat Deputy matron 4 months imprisonment suspended
Bernadette Gerrard Nurse 6 months imprisonment suspended
Albert Rowley Sep 2006 Feb 2008 Saeed Abbas Bus driver 7 years imprisonment
Maeve Sheppard Mar 2005 Nov 2007 Keran Henderson Childminder 3 years imprisonment
Roseline Idugboe, Jeriel Okenchukwu and Jaden Chimaoba Onwegbu-Aguocha Apr 2006 Feb 2007 Atalokhia Omo-Bare Landlord 20 months imprisonment

Alex Mitchell

Mar 2005 Sep 2006 Scott Lee Stuart Firm owner 2 years imprisonment
Crystal Collier Jul 2006 Sep 2006 Gary Collier Firm owner 3 years community probation
Wayne Jowett Feb 2001 Sep 2003 Feda Mulhem Doctor 8 months imprisonment
Max Palmer May 2001 Sep 2003 Paul Ellis Teacher 1 year imprisonment
Nathan Pringle Aug 2001 Aug 2003 Michael Kelly Tourist Park Manager 1 year imprisonment, suspended for 2 years
Marion Dennis Jul 1999 Oct 2003

Dennis Latham Nursing Services Manager 2 and half years imprisonment
Barbara Campbell Deputy Nursing Services Manager 1 year imprisonment
Wolfram Gross Oct 2001 May 2003 Brian D'Esterre Roberts First Officer 1 year imprisonment
Narelle Cozens and Michael Lawrence May 2000 Dec 2002 Barry Ramsey Fairground Safety Inspector 18 months imprisonment


Death of Elsie Skelton

In February 2009 at Sheffield Crown Court, Nchokhoa Thakne Mtetwa, a nurse on the night shift at Layden Court nursing home, admitted the manslaughter in October 2007 of Elsie Skelton by handling her so roughly that she broke her neck.

Mtetwa then covered up what had happened by asking a 17-year-old care worker, who had been in the job just nine days, to lie.

She then lied about when Mrs Skelton had last seen her own GP to prevent the police becoming involved, and told her family she had suffered a fall.

Under care guidelines, if a patient has seen their doctor in the two weeks before death with a complaint, then an investigation to establish a cause of death does not have to be carried out.

Mtetwa was handed a 12-month prison sentence suspended for a year.

Sentencing her Mr Justice Wilkie said the delay in her guilty plea had denied Mrs Skelton's family 'closure'. He said, 'It was your responsibility to care for her gently and with compassion, but you betrayed that trust.'

Mr Wilkie said the two months Mtetwa had spent in prison and the 12 months in a bail hostel meant he could suspend the sentence.

5 Mar 2009 Doncaster Free Press Nurse who killed patient, 86, tried to cover up crime

Death of Patricia Leighton

Priya Ramnath, 40, was given a six-month suspended jail sentence at Birmingham Crown Court for her involvement in the death of Patricia Leighton at Stafford District General hospital in July 1998.

In addition to going against the wishes of three colleagues, she failed to speak to a consultant anaesthetist at the hospital before injecting Patricia, an intensive care patient. with adrenaline.

Ramnath, whose sentence was suspended for two years, came back from the US last February to face the charge after being threatened with extradition.

Patricia died from heart failure shortly after she was injected with the drug. She had arthritis and had been admitted to hospital after a wound on a bunion on her left foot became infected.

One expert in intensive care medicine called by the defence, Dr John Coakley of Homerton hospital, London, said he believed Leighton had died of septic shock rather than because of the adrenaline injection.

Mrs Justice Rafferty ruled that the interests of justice did not require her to take away Ramnath's liberty. She said Ramnath, who has two children and lives in the US, panicked in the 'pressure cooker' of the hospital's intensive therapy unit.

'The jury has found that Mrs Leighton would have lived longer, perhaps days, but for your gross negligence.' She added that Ramnath's defining error was that she had chosen not to listen to a senior nurse working alongside her. 'Arrogance has cost you your reputation,' the judge said.

Ramnath's conviction comes a decade after the initial inquest into the patient's death, which found that she died of natural causes. A second inquest, held in August 2004, resulted in a verdict of unlawful killing and the Crown Prosecution Service sought Ramnath's extradition.

The doctor's counsel, Jonathan Caplan QC, told the court before sentence was passed that Ramnath had acted in the best interests of Leighton as she had perceived them to be.

Speaking after the hearing, Detective Chief Inspector Phil Bladen, of Staffordshire police, described the inquiry as complicated and highly unusual. 'This was an extreme case whereby a doctor refused to acknowledge and act on advice given by other senior medical staff that caused someone's unnecessary death.'

6 Feb 2009 Guardian Doctor guilty of patient manslaughter

Deaths of David, Michelle, Reece, Jay, Mason and Ellouise Statham

Paulo Jorge da Silva, 46, was convicted at Chester Crown Court in February 2009 of causing the death of a family of six by careless driving.

Andrew Thomas QC prosecuting claimed the Portuguese lorry driver, who may have been using a laptop computer for directions, showed 'gross inattention' when he failed to notice a tailback of traffic on the M6 near Sandbach in Cheshire as he approached at 40 mph.

His truck laden with fruit juice cartons smashed into the back of a Toyota Previa carrying couple David and Michelle Statham and their children.

Passing sentence, Mr Justice Irwin jailed da Silva for three years on each count, to run concurrently. He told him that he would serve 18 months in prison. Da Silva was also banned from driving for three years. The judge said that the offence was 'one of the most serious of its kind'.

Mr Statham,38, Mrs Statham, 33, and their children Reece, 13, Jay, nine, 20 months old Mason and ten weeks old Ellouise died instantly in the night time incident in October 2008.

16 Feb 2009 BBC News Driver guilty of M6 family deaths
16 Feb 2009 BBC News Fatal crash driver 'used laptop'

Death of David Liddle

David Liddle was struck by a 20-tonne dumper truck as he walked across the yard operated by Alex Smiles Limited in Deptford, in December 2007.

The driver of the truck, James Johnston, pleaded guilty to manslaughter by gross negligence.

His employer, Alex Smiles, a Sunderland waste company, appeared at Newcastle Crown Court in March 2009, pleading guilty to breaching Health and Safety at Work legislation. The company was fined £15,000 and was also ordered to pay £5,000 towards prosecution costs.

A joint investigation by Northumbria Police and the HSE, which resulted in the case being passed to the Crown Prosecution Service, revealed that Johnston also had 'very poor' eyesight and had ignored professional advice to visit an optician two years before the incident.

Paul Simpson, prosecuting, said, 'On 20 December, as the country was preparing for the Christmas holiday, David Liddle lost his life. He went to work that morning, but did not return home. James Johnston drove a 20 tonne vehicle overloaded in such a way that he could not see in front of him.

'In his words, he 'drove by instinct'. The consequences that afternoon were catastrophic not only for David Liddle, but also for Johnston. The death of David Liddle was a tragic accident that could and should have been avoided.'

Dr David Shallow of the Health and Safety Executive, said, 'In this case, there was a clear failure by Alex Smiles to manage site traffic safely and they pleaded guilty to a serious criminal offence.'

In April 2009 at Newcastle Crown Court, Johnston was sentenced to 18 months in prison.

Passing sentence, Judge Esmond Faulks, said that by not providing pedestrian walkways, Alex Smiles had let both Johnston and Liddle down. 'Yet the main blame for this tragic accident must lie with you driving when your view was almost totally obscured by your raised bucket and with timber protruding above it,' he said.

21 Apr 2009 H&S Professional Foreman jailed for manslaughter
23 Mar 2009 BBC News Company fined after worker death

Deaths of Christina Toner, Yi Di Lin and John Carruthers

Passengers Christina and Yi died in a coach near Heathrow Airport in January 2007 while John, another passenger, died in hospital on 1 July.

Another 65 people were injured, including four who had to have amputations and 19 who suffered fractures.

A National Express coach driver has denied causing the deaths of the three passengers by dangerous driving. Philip Rooney, from Lanarkshire, was driving the London-to-Aberdeen service when it overturned on the M4/M25 slip road.

He was bailed to appear at Oxford Crown Court on 8 September ahead of a trial on 27 October 2008.

On 26 November 2008 Rooney was sentenced to five years imprisonment.

Rooney was also banned from driving for three years after pleading guilty at a previous hearing to three counts of causing death by dangerous driving. He was also ordered to take an extended driving test.

Rooney, who had been driving coaches for 15 years, had been caught speeding in passenger vehicles on five occasions.

He was also disciplined by his employer in December 2004 for tampering with a speed limiter so he could drive faster.

27 Nov 2008 Guardian Coach driver jailed over Heathrow death crash
29 Jan 2008 BBC Driver denies coach death charges

Death of Hassan Goussa

Hassan, 39, died in 2006 after a crane snapped, fell 40ft and struck his head at a breakers' yard in Woolmongers Lane, Ingatestone, Essex.

In April 2008 William Edwards, aged 77, the scrap yard site manager, was jailed for nine months at Basildon Crown Court after admitting manslaughter by gross negligence. M Edwards' son-in-law was a director of the business.

Hassan had gone to the yard in to buy spare parts for a customer.

Edwards admitted that the offending crane which killed the mechanic had not been adequately inspected and did not have a suitable load indicator fitted.

In June 2008 the Court of Appeal quashed Mr Edwards' prison sentence

Edwards' barrister had argued that the nine-month sentence, although perfectly justified on the facts of the case, was too long for a man of Edwards' age and rapidly declining health.

Allowing his appeal, Judge Roberts said custody for Edwards had proved to be 'far more difficult' than for a younger man in similar circumstances. He spent much of his time in his cell, as he had been assessed as unfit to do any work in prison, adding to his isolation.

'In the circumstances, what we propose to do, without any reflection on the sentencing judge, is to quash the immediate sentence of imprisonment and to substitute in its place a sentence of nine months' imprisonment, suspended for 12 months,' he said.

Mar 2006 Safety Matters Grief for mechanic killed by crane
24 Jun 2008 This is Total Essex Crane death boss set free

Death of Alwyne Parkinson

Michael Roys, an excavator operator, pleaded guilty at Leeds Crown Court in April 2008 to Alwyne's manslaughter. Alwyne, a site worker, was fatally struck by the bucket of an extractor digger at Drax Power Station, near Selby.

Alwyne was struck by a bucket that fell from the semi-automatic quick hitch on the excavator Roys was operating on September 28, 2007. Other workers raced to heave the bucket up and pull him clear. Alwyne died from his injuries three days later, on October 1.

Alwyne was working on the site as a contractor for Grimsby-based building firm Clark Construction.

The case was adjourned until June 27 2008 when Roys was given a 12 months' sentence for manslaughter.

The hearing heard Roys had literacy problems - causing difficulties for him in reading safety notices. But he had been too lazy to get out of the cab of his JCB excavator to check the bucket was properly attached when it was changed. A metal safety pin should have prevented it falling off.

But it was not inserted by Roys, who was working for Westmoreland Plant Hire at Drax power station, and his negligence caused a fatal accident.

While the defendant was digging a drainage trench, Alwyne was standing in the trench when the bucket slipped from the arm of JCB and landed on his chest.

Roys, who had never had an accident in 27 years with the firm, said he was "sorry, mate" and went into shock, said Tom Storey, prosecuting.

The safety pin that should have held the bucket in the event of hydraulic failure was found lying on the floor of the cab and showed little sign of having been used.

When interviewed by police, Roys admitted he had not used the safety pin all day because of what he conceded was laziness on his part.

'He agreed it was wrong and knew he should have used it,' said Mr Storey.

Dale Harris, defending, said Roys, who pleaded guilty to the offence, wanted to personally say to Alwyne's family how sorry he was and offered his sincere condolences. He said the defendant was a quivering wreck after the accident and it had a devastating effect on his own health, which had led to him being diagnosed with severe post-traumatic stress disorder.

'He has since been unable to work. He has struggled to cope with his emotional reaction and has since lost interest in his usual pastimes,' said Mr Harris.

The barrister added that Roys had an excellent work record and was also prominent in the Pubwatch scheme through his links with the Bentley Miners' Welfare Club.

Judge Peter Collier, the Recorder of Leeds, said, 'The references speak highly of your good character and value to the community. But the only sentence that can be passed is a custodial sentence.'

The judge said the shortness took into account mitigating factors, including his remorse, positive good character and that he did not intend to cause injury.

30 Jun 2008 Contract Journal Digger driver jailed for manslaughter
28 Jun 2008 The Star

Crush death driver jailed

26 Apr 2008 York Press Worker admits manslaughter

Death of Ian Gregory

Scott Baldwin, a lorry driver, admitted causing the death by dangerous driving of farm worker Ian Gregory on 1 August 2007 when he crashed into a tractor as he wrote sexually explicit text messages on his phone. He was jailed at Exeter Crown Court for six years and was also given a five-year driving ban.

Ian, from Launceston, Cornwall, was run over by Baldwin after being catapulted out of his cab in the crash near Cheriton Bishop, Devon.

Baldwin, who had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing, was returning to Exeter from Penzance as an agency driver in a Tesco delivery lorry.

Baldwin told the police that the sun had caught him in the eyes, he sneezed a couple of times and then the 'front of the truck exploded' and he rolled to a stop.

The court heard that Ian's tractor and trailer was travelling at about 30mph (48 km/ph) when it was struck from behind by Baldwin's lorry, which a few minutes before the accident had been travelling at about 50mph (80 km/ph).

The lorry stopped about 500m (0.3 miles) after the impact.

At an earlier hearing, the court was told Ian, whose vehicle had two flashing orange beacons on it, suffered 'unsurvivable injuries' and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Judge Cottle said, 'The circumstances of this collision establish beyond any doubt whatever the defendant was not looking at the road ahead, and he was not looking where he was going. He said he had 'no doubt the defendant was in the process of composing yet another text in similar vein to those that had gone before'.

17 Apr 2008 BBC News Phone crash lorry driver jailed

Death of Robert Schenker

David Johnson, who previously traded as Merlin Building and Roofing Contractors, was found guilty of Robert's manslaughter after a two-week trial at Norwich Crown Court in April 2008. He was found guilty of Gross Negligence Manslaughter and of Breaching Section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work Etc Act 1974.

In May 2008 Mr Johnson was sentenced to three and a half years imprisonment.

Robert died of carbon monoxide poisoning after Johnson blocked the flue leading from his kitchen boiler, jurors were told.

Prosecutors said Johnson had been 'grossly negligent'. He had allowed mortar to drop and drip into the chimney and the mortar had solidified, preventing carbon monoxide from escaping into the atmosphere. The gas had leaked into Robert's house and killed him.

Robert was found dead in bed in March 2006 - three days after Johnson started work, jurors heard.

Johnson had denied manslaughter. He was prosecuted following a joint investigation by police and health and safety inspectors.

'This has been a very difficult, complex and unusual case,' said Detective Inspector Mick Birchall. 'We hope this result will serve as a warning to other construction workers to make sure they comply with all health and safety regulations.'

Paul Hoskins, an inspector with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), added, 'Robert Schenker's tragic and wasteful death could and should have been avoided by Mr Johnson taking straightforward safety precautions.

'HSE inspectors involved in this case were appalled by the poor workmanship and failure to carry out even the most basic checks to ensure the correct operation of the flue, which directly led to the fatal incident.'

Following the prosecution the HSE issued a warning to anyone that had had work carried out by Mr Johnson.

After the sentencing Paul Hoskins said, 'It is illegal for anyone to carry out alterations that have an adverse effect on the safety of any gas installation.

Anyone having work carried out on flues and chimneys should check that they are inspected and tested sufficiently before being used.

HSE strongly recommends the use of audible carbon monoxide alarms. Such an alarm may have saved Robert Schenker's life.

There are many myths regarding health and safety. Carbon Monoxide is not one of them.'

Passing sentence on Johnson, Judge Peter Jacobs said, 'You deliberately and knowingly exposed someone to a high likelihood of death through carbon monoxide poisoning.'

22 May 2008 BBC News Builder is jailed for gas death
21 May 2008 Contract Journal Builder who poisoned client jailed for 3.5 years
21 May 2008 HSE David Paul Johnson sentencing (formerly trading as Merlin Building & Roofing Contractors)
28 Apr 2008 HSE HSE warning following prosecution of David Johnson formerly trading as Merlin Building & Roofing Contractors
10 Apr 2008 BBC News Builder found guilty of gas death
10 Apr 2008 24dash Builder guilty of manslaughter after carbon monoxide death

Death of Eileen Murphy

Harjinder Mangat, a nurse and deputy matron at the Richard House Care Home in Walsall found guilty of Eileen's manslaughter at Wolverhampton Crown Court in March 2008.

The court found that the defendant did nothing to help Eileen, a care home patient, who suffered an epileptic fit lasting up to two and a half hours in March 2003.

The court heard that Mangat failed to give Eileen her medication. She also failed to call an ambulance.

Another nurse, Bernadette Gerrard had previously admitted manslaughter.

In May 2008 Harjinder Mangat was given a four-month suspended jail term and Bernadette Gerrard a six-month suspended sentence.

Gerrard and Mangat were told about Eileen's fit but did not get help. The court heard that other carers told the pair, 'She's going blue. Help her.'

But, by mid-morning Eileen had stopped breathing, having not regained consciousness since the start of the fit.

The prosecution said she was just 'left and left' until she died.

They alleged Mangat, charged with manslaughter by gross negligence, failed in her duty of care and also as deputy matron over the way she supervised Gerrard.

West Midlands Police said it had been a complex investigation.

Kevin Hegarty, prosecuting, said Eileen died because nursing staff at the home, which was closed by government inspectors in November 2005, failed to give her the care she needed when she was found to be suffering from the fit.

22 May 2008 BBC News Nurses sentenced over fit death
19 Mar 2008 BBC News Nurse guilty of gross negligence
19 Mar 2008 Birmingham Mail Matron guilty of negligence

Death of Albert Rowley

Albert, 82, suffered an open fracture to his leg when the double-decker bus he was a passenger in crashed. Despite seeming to make a good recovery after undergoing an operation he suddenly died in hospital almost three weeks after the crash in September 2006.

The bus driver, Saeed Abbas, crashed his double-decker because he was too tired to be behind the wheel. He had 44 passengers on board when his bus veered off the road, across a forecourt, and smashed through a stone wall. The bus ended up down a banking embedded in the garage of a house on the road into Huddersfield and 40 of his passengers were injured.

A few days before his trial started at Bradford Crown Court in December 2007, Saeed Abbas pleaded guilty to causing Albert's death by dangerous driving and two further allegations of careless driving relating to his driving of the bus that morning and was jailed for seven years.

During the hearing at Bradford Crown Court it emerged that earlier that same morning Abbas had narrowly missed hitting a bridge parapet on the Stanningley bypass when his bus was doing 47mph and packed with commuters.

Prosecutor Andrew Dallas showed the court video footage taken from the double-deck which showed the shocked faces of passengers as the vehicle veered back on to the carriageway.

Judge Christopher Prince described that near-miss as a 'rehearsal'' for the fatal crash which happened just under two hours later.

'How much greater warning can a driver possible have that he is too tired to drive than nearly crashing his vehicle into a bridge at the side of the road?'' asked the judge.

He said Abbas, who tried to blame that erratic driving on a passing motorbike, had made a conscious decision to continue his shift when he was not just tired, but extremely tired.

Mr Dallas told the court how Abbas had been seen yawning, rubbing his eyes and even reading bus timetables as he drove along. At one point he was driving one-handed for almost half-a-minute and when he picked up passengers in Brighouse he even pulled up at the wrong stop.

The court was shown video footage of Albert going on to the top deck of the bus shortly before the crash which happened when Abbas over-compensated by steering to the left after his vehicle drifted across the centre white line.

Judge Prince watched footage of the bus careering off the road and demolishing the wall before coming to a halt in a pile of rubble.

Abbas claimed that the accident had been caused by a mechanical fault with the steering, but investigators ruled out any fault with the bus.

It emerged at the trial that Abbas had started working for First Buses less than a year after passing his car driving test. Mr Dallas said the records showed that during his time as a bus driver he had been involved in four collisions.

One incident led to him getting a verbal warning and disciplinary proceedings were pending against him after he was involved in a collision 19 days before the crash.

Paul Lewis, counsel for Abbas, submitted that his client had expressed remorse for the offences, but Judge Prince said he did not accept that bearing in mind that he had lied to the police and had only entered his guilty plea a few days before his trial.

He also banned Abbas from driving for five years and told him he must pass an extended test before he can drive lawfully again.

1 Feb 2008 Yorkshire Post Death-crash bus driver is jailed for seven years
1 Feb 2008 Telegraph & Argus Killer bus driver jailed
4 Feb 2008 Telegraph & Argus Call for tougher bus driver laws

Death of Maeve Sheppard

Keran Henderson was jailed at at Reading Crown Court in November 2007 for three years for killing an 11-month-old baby by violently shaking her in a temper. She had pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter of Maeve Sheppard.

Henderson, a mother-of-two and a former Beaver Scout leader, had been looking after Maeve when the unconscious baby was taken to hospital.

Experts said the injuries were caused by the baby's neck being violently snapped back and forth.

The jury convicted Henderson after deliberating for more than 12 hours at the end of a five-week trial.

Judge, Mr Justice Keith, told Henderson, 'Your reputation as someone who parents can confidently leave their children with has been shattered. You are going to have to live the rest of your life, with the knowledge that Maeve died in your care.'

Henderson, who ran her childminding business from her home in Iver Heath, was hired in January 2005 to look after Maeve by her parents Ruth and Mark.

Medical experts, appearing for the prosecution, told the jury the injuries Maeve suffered could only have been caused by violent shaking. Her neck ligaments were "over-extended", indicating that her neck had snapped back and forth.

Henderson, who had seven years experience as a childminder, claimed Maeve had a seizure while she was changing her nappy.

Henderson claimed the baby had been repeatedly ill, virtually from the first day she was in her care, but Maeve's parents denied this claim.

Henderson said that on 2 March, Maeve's body 'stiffened and jerked back' as she changed her nappy and the baby's eyes rolled back into her head.

Maeve was taken to hospital for treatment but her life-support machine was switched off two days later.

In the days following this, Henderson said she gave up child minding.

The Sheppards said in a statement after the trial: "We will never be able to forgive this woman for what she took away from us."

Mrs Sheppard also wrote a victim impact statement, which the judge asked her not to read out to the court for fear of further unrest in the public gallery from the Henderson's family, who reacted angrily to the jury's verdict.

In the statement, obtained after the case, Mrs Sheppard said, 'I heard Keran Henderson asked, whilst giving her evidence, if she had a chance to say goodbye to her son after her arrest in November 2006, and she replied 'yes'.

'My heart sank so heavy when I heard this, I thought and said to myself, 'At least you had the chance to say goodbye'.'

13 Nov 2007 BBC News Childminder jailed for baby death
13 Nov 2007 BBC News Mother torn between baby and work

Deaths of Roseline Idugboe, Jeriel Okenchukwu and Jaden Chimaoba Onwegbu-Aguocha

In February 2007 Atalokhia Omo-Bare, a landlord and unqualified handyman who installed a faulty boiler, pleaded guilty to three counts of manslaughter at the Old Bailey.

Judge Richard Hawkins bailed Omo-Bare for sentencing on 15 March but warned him to expect a prison term.

Omo-Bare admitted killing a woman and her two young grandsons. He failed to fit an extractor pipe to the appliance at the east London home in April 2006.

Days later, Roseline Idugboe and the two brothers, aged three and 19 months, were found dead, the court heard.

Omo-Bare also admitted unlawfully wounding two others in the house, including the children's mother, and health and safety violations.

Following the deaths police had warned anyone who had appliances fitted by Omo-Bare to turn off their gas supply and contact engineers.

The public should be aware they shouldn't get boilers fitted on the cheap said
Det Sgt Shaun Plunkett.

Omo-Bare had been a family friend of Ms Idugboe for more than 20 years and fitted the boiler as a favour to her.

He was even looked on as a father by her two young sons.

Ms Idugboe later wrote to the court saying she had forgiven Omo-Bare for not warning her about the faulty boiler and called for him not to be jailed.

It was Omo-Bare who found the bodies of the children, three-year-old Jeriel Okenchukwu Onwegbu-Aguocha and Jaden Chimaoba Onwegbu-Aguocha, 18 months, at the home in Barking.

Judge Peter Rook told Omo-Bare, who is originally from Nigeria, 'This is a truly tragic case. You acknowledge that by attempting to help someone, you caused a tragic accident and you are haunted by the fact that your actions have led to the premature deaths of these two young boys.

'You have been completely distraught and devastated by what you have done.

'You were like a father to the children who died. You are a very kind, caring and supportive man, I have no doubt whatsoever.'

In March 2007 Atalokhia Omo-Bare was jailed for 20 months.

15 March 2007 BBC News Handyman jailed for boiler deaths
20 Feb 2007 BBC News Handyman guilty of boiler deaths

Death of Alex Mitchell

Alex, a 14-year-old girl, died from carbon monoxide poisoning after Scott Lee Stuart, a gas fitter, incorrectly installed a flueless gas fire in her family home.

Cardiff Crown Court heard how Stuart, who ran Stuart Plumbing and Heating Services, failed to check that the gas pressure on the appliance was set at the correct level, which led to a leak. He was registered to fit central heating boilers but not flueless gas fires.

On the day she died, Alex had been at home alone with the family pet dog. When her mother Ann returned home from work she found the terrier dead in the hall. She then ran upstairs where she found her daughter's body in her bedroom.

Stuart was ailed for two years in October 2006.

18 Sep 2006 BBC News Gas fitter admits to manslaughter

Death of Crystal Collier

Two-year-old Crystal was killed when a 11-year-old boy under the supervision of her father Gary Collier ran over her with a lorry.

Gary Collier had been looking over both children in July 2005 when the boy got into a lorry at Collier's waste management and demolition business in Feltham and knocked Crystal over.

Collier admitted manslaughter by gross negligence and was remanded on bail until October 19 for sentence. Judge Paul Focke warned him that all sentencing options remained open.

Outside court, Detective Inspector Colin Welsh of the Child Protection Command Major Investigation Team said the case was 'tragic and ironic'.

He said, 'Collier clearly failed to comply with the law. Despite numerous warnings and through his irresponsibility and reckless behaviour, he has lost his daughter who he really loved.'

Mr Welsh added, 'The mother is extremely upset about the death. She will never come to terms with the way she lost her daughter.'

In November 2006 Gary Collier was given a three-year community probation order on condition that he receives treatment from his local mental health team.

Judge David Paget told Collier, 'I'm not going to pass a prison sentence. I accept it took courage for you to plead guilty and I accept the real punishment is the loss of your child Crystal, which I have no doubt is a life sentence.'

Judge Paget said Collier went to Crystal's grave every day, adding, 'From the time the cemetery opens to sunset, leaving only to buy flowers or to eat. You have lost interest in your business. It is there only to generate enough income to buy flowers and just existing.'

He added, 'Eventually, you will have to move on and you will have to live with it. I do not under-estimate how difficult it will be.'

21 Nov 2006 BBC News Lorry death father spared prison
16 Sep 2006 Daily Telegraph Father let boy, 11, drive death lorry
15 Sep 2006 Pipex Father admits manslaughter

Death of Wayne Jowett

Wayne died one month after vincristine was injected into his spine which should have gone into a vein, a jury heard. Vincristine is highly toxic when inserted into the spine.The junior doctor who administered the drug had twice warned Feda Mulhem that this was the wrong injection. The defence had argued that there had been around 40 failures in hospital procedures

24 Sept 2003 Guardian Doctor Jailed for Fatal Error
23 Sept 2003 BBC Doctors shocked by prison sentence
23 Sept 2003 BBC Anger as fatal jab doctor freed


Death of Max Palmer

Max, a pupil at Shakespear Primary School died when he was swept away in a small flooded river near Glenridding in Cumbria whilst on a school trip. He was accompanying his mother - a training assistant at Fleetwood High School - at the time.

25 Oct 2002 BBC Teacher Charged over River Death
23 Sep 2003 BBC Teacher Jailed over Drowned Boy
24 Sep 2003 BBC Trips warning over jailed teacher


Death of Nathan Pringle

Michael Kelly, the manager of the Newperran Tourist Park new Newquay in Cornwall, we convicted of the manslaughter of Nathan at Exeter Crown Court in Aug 2003. Nathan died when he fell into a cesspit while on a family holiday. The judge said when passing sentence, "I bear in mind that this field was not meant to be used. It was not technically part of the site, it had a barbed wire fence and gate, but you should have known that people still used the field." Michael Kelly was sentenced to a suspended one year prison sentenced. The Trevella Caravan Company Ltd, which owned the site, its director, Alan Freear, were also convicted of a health and safety offence. The company was fined £15,000 and the director was fined £12,000.

25 Jul 2003 BBC Staff 'gutted' by boy's cesspit death
28 Jul 2003 BBC Support for Death Park Boss
31 Jul 2003 BBC Cesspit death boss sentenced


Death of Wolfram Gross

See file:///websitedocs/Deaths/sussex.html for details.


Death of Marion Dennis in July 1999

Marion Dennis died in Juyly 1999 from Sceticemia resulting from pressure sores the 'size of a fist' that developed while she was a resident at Ballastowell Gardens nursing home in Ramsey. Dennis Latham was the nursing Services Manager at the home at the time of the death and Barbara Campbell was his deputy. Medical experts gave evidence confirming that when she was admitted to hospital from the nursing home she had infected ulcers more commonly known as pressure sores, that had penetrated to the bone. She died several days after being admitted to the hospital

In February 2003 Dennis Latham and Barbara Campbell were jailed for Marion's manslaughter. Latham was jailed for two-and-a-half years and Campbell was sentenced to 12 months.

16 Dec 2003 BBC News 'Action' needed on island's care homes
27 Oct 2003 Ananova Nurses Found Guilty of Killing by Patient by Neglect

Death of Narelle Cozens and Michael Lawrence in May 2000

Barry Ramsey was convicted and received an 18 months sentence of imprisonment for the manslaughter of Narelle Cozens and Michael Lawrence who were killed when when a car on a ride broke free. Three weeks earlier Mr Ramsey had issued a safety certificate on the ride

27 Nov 2002 BBC Safety Inspector Guilty of Fair ground Deaths



Home -> Deaths, Inquests & Prosecutions -> Manslaughter Cases
Page last updated on May 13, 2009